Suicide Squad Movie Review

Hey everyone!

Sorry about my absence. I had an unexpected promotion at work and two classes. It's been really hectic. BUT the boyfriend decided we needed a date night and what better than the brand new Suicide Squad right after work today?! We just got back. I wore red and black, with my Harley Quinn shoes and socks. The boyfriend wore a Batman shirt.

Let me start out by saying this. Make the decision about the movie for yourself. I was really nervous to go see it because I saw some seriously mixed reviews from critics. BAH! What do the critics know anyways? It was amazing and make sure you stay for the after credit scene! It's important.

I'm going to do this with as few spoilers as possible and just talk about the characters and my impression of the story. Here we go.

First, I loved the characters in this movie and even the ones I hated were expertly done. Margot Robbie, who I was very skeptical about when I first saw she had been cast, played an AMAZING Harley Quinn. She maintained Harley's Long Island/Brooklyn accent subtly throughout the entire movie. Her back story was actually well maintained and they brought in her classic costume not once, but twice during the movie, which made me super happy. Jared Leto's Joker, while not seen a lot in the movie, was perhaps one of my favorite portrayals of the Joker ever (outside Heath Ledger's in the Dark Knight). Now it was a very different take. He was definitely more underground criminal boss in this one and his relationship with Harley was really good.

Will Smith's Deadshot was hilarious and dark. He was a great balance to the team and I enjoyed his contribution immensly. Captain Boomerang was odd, but hilarious. You need to watch to understand. El Diablo was a calm, but deceptively powerful character. I enjoyed his character and tragic backstory. Kitana was amazing and stoic. Captain Flag was intense and kind of a jerk. Amanda Waller is perhaps pure evil, but very well played by Viola Davis. Enchantress/June Moone was amazing and powerful. There were so many powerful, well played characters in the movie and the critics agreed to this. The critics hated the story.

Which I absolutely disagree with. Yes, the story was definitely more of a comic book spin, just like Batman vs Superman was. BUT it was a lot of fun, dark, and deep, which fits very well into the overall Suicide Squad ideology. I enjoyed how it portrayed the Suicide Squad as the anti-heroes they are and didn't glorify them. The Squad is definitely human and there are several points in the movie where they are conflicted and seriously consider turning their backs on this whole endeavour. This may be one of my favorite movies of the year. Check it out.

Mariah

OH PS Look for Justice League tie-ins. You'll thank me later. ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January Reading Challenge - Jam Jar January with Books and Munches

Fandom Friday: 5 Nerdy Places I want to Travel To.